Seeking out , interacting and socialising with others is not only of benefit to the children in your care but also for yourself.
Connect with other nannies to gain support, advice and friendships. We recognise this and understand how, especially if you are starting a new job or in a new location, it can be tricky to network and so we have established a nanny network and nanny noticeboard.
As with most things there are some common ‘rules’ but they are painless:
- Provide as much information as you can to the type of networking you are interested in, for example, playdate, nanny friend (new friend for specific activity), after hours friend, etc.
- Provide no personal information. While it may seem that you are being more helpful the more information you provide it is not always the case. There is no need to provide anything more than an email address. This way you can screen the potential nanny ‘friend’ as well.
- DO NOT provide your (or your families) phone number, address or even the children’s names- provide nothing more than your first name and email address.
- We would advise including a postcode or general area so your general location is know or if you are willing to travel. This will save you time in the long run.
- If it progresses to a meeting ONLY meet in a public place. If at all possible meet with the nanny before introducing the children to the nanny and his/her charges. This will also ensure your children’s and your safety, as well as ensuring you click too before taking the new friendship any further.
- Most importantly……check with your family if they are happy for you to do this, after all it involves their children.
- Remember confidentiality.