If it is not possible to have their own garden you can still promote their interest in gardening when out and about and engage them in their environment by:
- Touching and talking about things you see and smell
- Looking and talking about different plants and flowers
- Plant a garden
- Discussing (and experiencing) the growing process – how the sun and water help plants grow
- Reading related stories such as The Very Hungry Caterpillar, etc
- Do a nature collage or have a nature table with the items they have collected on a walk.
Getting them involved in (and sharing) their own piece of garden or pot plant is a great way to establish and maintain an interest in gardening and can lead to a bigger appreciation for the environment.